Items to Pack
This list may is not all-inclusive for all travelers and some items on this list may not be necessary for yourself on your travels. However, it is what I typically pack on a trip in my backpack and is a great starting point for your packing as well. Rememeber to pack smart! Whatever you pack you have to lug with you the rest of the way and be sure to leave room for souvenirs!
Here’s what to consider packing:
- Outlet splitter or power strip to increase the number of things you can plug into one outlet/socket
- 3-prong to 2-prong (Ground to no ground) converter, if necessary
- 3 copies of passport info page. One to keep hidden in backpack. One to keep on person when not carrying actual passport. State ID also good idea. And one for someone back home to hold on to.
- Spare passport photos – optional in most cases.
- Spare zipper-seal bags
- Printout of return flight confirmation (in case requested by immigration official)
- Pen and paper (pen at very least). Have on the plane with you for customs forms.
- Spare credit/debit card(s). Leave one hidden in bag/at hostel
- Rain poncho
- Paper clip(s) for opening SIM card tray
- Back-up U.S. Dollars (keep hidden in bag/at hostel)
- Combination lock (mostly for hostel-goers for in-room lockers)
- Small bottle opener
- Mini bottle of hand sanitizer
- Travel adapter or converters
- Power bank (and spare batteries if needed)
- Clothes for warm, for chilly, and the beach.
- Travel-sized toiletries
- Miscellaneous equipment (e.g. camera, GoPro, laptop, selfie stick, etc.)
- Phone charger and other chargers
- Earbud headphones
- A couple of plastic grocery bags. One to store soiled or wet clothes. Another to keep sandals in.
- Toilet paper and/or sanitary wipes
- Medications (i.e. ibuprofen, acetaminophen, antacids, anti-diarrhea meds, etc.)
- Travel wallet/belt
- Luggage tag with contact info on baggage
- Travel insurance card if you obtained one.
Things to Do Before Departure
- Download offline locations on Google Maps or on the app called Maps.me
- Contact credit/debit card companies to alert of foreign travel transactions
- Save (star) important locations (esp. acoommodations) on offline maps and Google Maps
- Convert some cash to destination currency ahead of time – optional
- Reserve seat on plane – optional
- Check-in for flight 24 hours ahead of time or per airline policy.